November, 24, 2011, EKO-Center Sokolniki within the framework of the Transport Week 2011
The Transit Air Cargo Potential of the Russian Federation:
Governmental and business initiatives
On 24 November 2011 within the framework of the Transport Week 2012 Innovation Center of Civil Aviation (coordinator of the project for E-Freight implementation in Russia) organized the Conference AirCargoForum-2011 which saw a discussion of state and business proposals on unlocking the transit potential of the airspace of the Russian Federation in terms of cargo transportation. AirCargoForum-2011 united the representatives of Federal executive authorities and key companies of cargo transportation market – Russian and foreign airlines, airports, forwarding companies, developers of IT-products for aviation logistics, but also industry experts and journalists. The conference saw presentation of 16 reports and signing of 2 agreements.
The Agenda of the Forum was carried out without changes – aside from the summary at the close of the 2 session.
The key message was an introductory report of the deputy minister of transport of the Russian Federation Valery Okulov on the initiatives of the Ministry concerning cargo air transportation development on the domestic and international market. In accordance with the resolution adopted during the first AirCargoForum in 2010, this year 2012 saw the realization of following steps:
1. The Ministry of Transport created a task group of representatives of federal executive authorities, air carriers and airports for realizing joint practical efforts on implementation of E-Freight technology (this group includes representatives of the Ministry of Transport, Federal Air Transport Agency, Federal Service for the Oversight of Transport, Federal Customs Service, Federal Tax Service, Federal Agency for the Development of the State Border Facilities of the Russian Federation, Federal Service on Customers’ Rights Protection and Human Well-being Surveillance, Federal Service for Veterinary and Phytosanitary Surveillance);
2. In compliance with international experiences, this project is implemented on a principle of private-public partnership: Innovation Center of Civil Aviation coordinates the project, and the following companies are involved in the pilot project: «Novosibirsk International Airport», «Aeroflot – Russian Airlines» and «AirBridgeCargo»;
3. Russian Ministry of Transport developed «Concept of cargo air transportation development in the Russian Federation» and «Program of implementation of the international standard on electronic processing and forwarding in air cargo carriages E-Freight in the Russian Federation»;
4. With the aim of joining the Montreal Convention 1999 (M99), the Plan of legislative activities for 2011-2012 of the Ministry of Transport was supplemented by development of the following draft laws: «On joining the Convention for the Unification of Certain Rules for International Carriage by Air» and «On amending some laws of the Russian Federation in view of joining the Convention for the Unification of Certain Rules for International Carriage by Air by the Russian Federation».
It is planned to realize the initiatives of the Russian Ministry of Transport on cargo air transportation development designed to attract international connecting traffic to the Russian airspace and airports in two stages:
1. 2011-2014: development of technical stops by virtue of simplification of procedures of obtaining permits to make these stops in the Russian airports – by remission of a requirement to have a commercial agreement with appointed carrier only for flights with «cargo» status (except for Sheremetyevo, Domodedovo and Vnukovo airports due to the congestion of Moscow airport hub)
2. Since 2014: development of cargo transfer in the Russian airports by virtue of providing «the fifth freedom of the air» to foreign airlines concerning the flights with «cargo» status through the airports of the Russian Federation (taking into account the interests of Russian carriers).
Regional director of IATA in Russia Dmitry Shamraev welcomed the proposals of the Ministry of Transport and signalized the leading role of the state in integration of efforts for «using international experience with the aim to add Russia to the modern and virtually world-wide platform».
The representative of IATA emphasized that «by joining the Montreal Convention 1999 Russia will provide higher level of protection of its citizens – passengers and cargo shippers», and in terms of cargo transportation this means, in the first place, the realization of «one stop principle» - use of electronic documents in cargo transportation and implementation of the E-Freight standard.
To confirm the start of implementation of these proposals, the «Tolmachevo Airport» and Cargolux company within the framework of the Forum signed an agreement on technical stops. General Director of the «Tolmachevo Airport» Alexander Borodin and the vice-president on legal issues of Cargolux Henning zur Hausen took part in the signing ceremony.
Also during the AirCargoForum the «Tolmachevo Airport» and AirBridgeCargo (part of Volga-Dnepr Group) signed a contract on airport and ground handling of aircrafts. General Director of the «Tolmachevo Airport» Alexander Borodin, General Director of «Novosibirsk International Airport» Kirill Pokrovsky and executive president of AirBridgeCargo Tatiana Arslanova took part in the signing ceremony.
Valery Okulov, Deputy Minister of Transport of the Russian Federation
Dmitriy Shamraev, IATA Regional Representative Russia & CIS
Henning zur Hausen, Senior Vice President Legal Affairs CARGOLUX
Aleksandr Borodin, CEO, Tolmachevo Airport
Kirill Pokrovskiy, CEO, International Airport Novosibirsk
Tatiana Arslanova, Executive president of AirBridgeCargo Airline
Joerg Seifert, Area Head of Airfreight Black & Caspian Sea, Panalpina World Transport
Saskia van Pelt, Director of Business Development Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Valery Shturmin, CEO, Vnukovo Cargo
Alexander Suvorov, CEO, RusPort
Markus Witte, Director Technology and Innovation, Lufthansa Cargo
Alexander Gusakovskiy, Deputy Director, Innovation Center of Civil Aviation
Larisa Korshunova, Deputy Head of the Main Administration for Customs Control & Registration, Federal Customs Service of Russian Federation
Oleg Korolev, Head of Cargo Department, Aeroflot Russian Airlines
Yuriy Kolesnikov, Head of IT Department , Volga-Dnepr Group
Reinhard Schoeler, Area Manager Sales, TRAXON Europe